I am a Reader in Mathematics in the Algebra & Geometry section of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Lancaster.
of Mathematics and Statistics,
University of Lancaster,
Bailrigg LA1 4YW
- B64, B Floor, Fylde College
I work on problems in geometry and topology. I am particularly interested in the symplectic topology of algebraic varieties.
Joint with Yanki Lekili and Ailsa Keating, I run the Free Mathematics Seminar.
- EPSRC Grant EP/W015749/1 "New Frontiers in Symplectic Topology" (joint with YankI Lekili).
- EPSRC Grant EP/P02095X/2 "Singularities and Symplectic Topology" (formerly known as EP/P02095X/1)
- Current PhD students
- Patrick Ramsey, Matt Buck, Elliot Gathercole
- Current postdocs
- Angelica Simonetti, Kai Hugtenburg
- Past PhD students
- Emily Maw, Momchil Konstantinov, Tobias Sodoge
- Past postdocs
- Jack Smith, Daniel Cavey.
- Georgios Dimitroglou Rizell
- Ailsa Keating
- Jarek Kędra
- Yankı Lekili
- Mirko Mauri
- Ivan Smith
- Renato Vianna
- Giancarlo Urzúa
- Lectures on Lagrangian torus fibrations.
- a book, arXiv:2110.08643
- Symplectic cohomology of compound Du Val singularities.
- with Y. Lekili, arXiv:2104.11713
- to appear in Annales Henri Lebesgue.
- A Lagrangian Klein bottle you can't squeeze.
of Fixed Point Theory and Applications Volume
24 (2022) Article number 47,
in Symplectic geometry - A Festschrift in honour of Claude Viterbo’s 60th birthday
- Constructing local models for Lagrangian torus fibrations.
- with M. Mauri, arXiv:1905.09229
- Annales Henri Lebesgue, Volume 4 (2021), pp. 537-570.
- Antiflips, mutations, and unbounded symplectic embeddings of rational homology balls.
- with G. Urzúa, arXiv:1807.06073
- Annales de l'Institut Fourier, Volume 71 (2021) no.5 pp. 1807-1843.
- Bounds on Wahl singularities from symplectic topology.
- with I. Smith, arXiv:1708.02268
- Algebraic Geometry, (2020) 1(1) 59-85.
- Markov numbers and Lagrangian cell complexes in the complex projective plane.
- with I. Smith, arXiv:1606.08656
- Geometry & Topology (2018) 22(2):1143-1180.
- Generating the Fukaya categories of Hamiltonian G-manifolds.
- with Y. Lekili, arXiv:1507.05842
- Journal of the American Mathematical Society (2019) 32:119-162.
- Exotic spheres and the topology of symplectomorphism groups.
- with G. Dimitroglou Rizell, arXiv:1407.3173
- Journal of Topology (2015) 8(2):586-602.
- Floer cohomology of the Chiang Lagrangian.
- with Y. Lekili, arXiv:1401.4073
- Selecta Mathematica (2015) 21(4):1361-1404.
- Unlinking and unknottedness of Lagrangian submanifolds.
- with G. Dimitroglou Rizell, arXiv:1211.6633
- Geometry & Topology, (2014) 18:997-1034.
- Pseudoholomorphic tori in the Kodaira-Thurston manifold.
- with J. Kędra, arXiv:1205.1239
- Compositio Mathematica (2015) 151(12) 2212-2250.
- Remarks on monotone Lagrangians in Cn.
- with J. Kędra, arXiv:1110.0927
- Mathematical Research Letters (2014) 6:1241-1255.
- The infimum of the Nijenhuis energy.
- Mathematical Research Letters, (2012) 19(2):383-388.
- Quantum cohomology of twistor spaces and their Lagrangian submanifolds.
- Journal of Differential Geometry, (2014) 96(3)353-397.
- Symplectic mapping class groups of some Stein and rational surfaces.
- Journal of Symplectic Geometry (2011) 9(1):45-82.
- Lagrangian spheres in Del Pezzo surfaces.
- Journal of Topology (2010) 3(1):181-227.
- Symplectic cohomology of compound Du Val singularities
- Lisbon Geometry Seminar (Feb 2022)
- A Lagrangian Klein bottle you can't squeeze
- Western Hemisphere Virtual Symplectic Seminar (Sep 2020)
- Symplectic embeddings of rational homology balls
- Glasgow Topology Seminar (October 2019): YouTube version
- KIAS Lectures on Symplectic aspects of degenerations
- Three lectures given at the 2019 ASADCS conference in Seoul: notes
- Lagrangian cell complexes and Markov numbers
- Institute for Advanced Study (September 2016): video
- Exotic spheres and the topology of symplectomorphism groups
- Simons Center for Geometry and Physics (August 2014): video and slides
- Lectures on symplectic and algebraic geometry
- UK-Japan Mathematical Forum (January 2013): notes from Lecture 1, Lecture 2, Lecture 3 and accompanying blog post
- The quantum cohomology of twistor spaces
- CAST Workshop, Madrid (February 2012), slides
- Lagrangian spheres in Del Pezzo surfaces
- Lyon, February 2011 and Oxford, April 2010
- Symplectic Picard-Lefschetz theory (expository, mostly pictures!)
- Slides from a colloquium I gave in Neuchâtel (April 2012).
- Luttinger surgery (expository)
- ENS Lyon (January 2012) expository notes
- Slides/notes from successful job/postdoc talks
- Lancaster, UCL, ETH
- Lie Groups and Lie Algebras (Lancaster 2020-, UCL 2013-2016)
- Algebraic curves (Lancaster 2022-)
- Linear Algebra (Lancaster 2019-2022)
- Lagrangian torus fibrations (LTCC 2019)
- Topology and Groups (UCL 2018-2019)
- Geometry and Groups (UCL 2015-2016)
- Mathematical Methods 3 (UCL 2012-2014)
- Aspects of Yang-Mills Theory (ETH 2011)
- First course in symplectic topology (ETH 2010)
Director of Studies for Part II
I am the Director of Studies for Part II students taking BSc Maths or Maths with Statistics.
If you are having any problems with your study or have any questions you want to ask, I'm happy to listen: please use LibCal to arrange a meeting, or email me (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Depending on your question, you may find the following links useful:
- Part II Handbook
- The ASK service (all-purpose student enquiry desk at Lancaster: very knowledgeable and helpful)
- Disability services
- Counselling and mental health services
- Change of module
- Change of programme
- Exceptional Circumstances page and form (for if your coursework or exam results have been adversely affected by circumstances beyond your control).
- Intercalation (if you want to interrupt your studies for a year)